Caribbean Daydreams

Landslides, flooded streets, and enough standing water to close the freeway.

Oh, those Seattle rains.

I tell you...yesterday, I thought about building an ark!



At 10:00 am, they closed my office.

Rain beat furiously on my windows. By 11:00 am, I was at home and in full denial. Jimmy Buffett serenaded me...while I daydreamed about sticking my toes in the sand.

Then I remembered this recipe for Chile Peanuts.

Mmm...they fit the bill perfectly.

These beauties are spicy...with a hint of tangy lime juice and an intoxicating wiff of roasted peanuty goodness. Hands down, this is my favorite snack in Mexico. Wash 'em down with an icy cold beer...and I'm in heaven!




As the holidays come into full swing, think of these nuts--even if you're not daydreaming about the Caribbean. They make a perfect last minute stash for care packages...or cocktail parties.




Chile Peanuts

Rosa's New Mexican Table
by Roberto SantibaƱez

4 cups unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper


Method

1. Preheat the oven to 250°F

2. Toss the peanuts together with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl until all the nuts are evenly coated. The peanuts may look wet at this point — that is fine.

3. Spread them out in an even layer on a large rimmed baking sheet (a jelly-roll pan works well). Bake until the coating is dry and the spices are lightly toasted, about 30 minutes.

4. Let the peanuts cool completely. They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.

Note: If they lose their crispness after storing, reheat them on a baking sheet in a 250°F oven for 15 minutes before serving.