He quietly reached in his pocket and offered this list of ingredients.
"No, man, I need a recipe!"
We ended the night with a handshake...and a promise.
True to his word, on Friday, this coveted recipe landed in my e-mail. John notes, "The original recipe was for 1,000 pieces and I scaled it down to about 1 dozen for you." I've got big love for this guy!
If you're on the hunt for a showstopper that's packed with flavor...look no further.
Pancetta Wrapped Barbecue Prawns with Cornbread Stuffing
Courtesy of John Jadamec, sous chef, Eagles Buffet at the Tulalip Resort Casino & Spa
Poppy notes: This recipe involves multiple parts but the work is easily divided, and most of it is done in advance. Day 1: Make the sauce, cornbread for the dressing, and marinate prawns in the spice blend. Day 2: Make the cornbread dressing, wrap the marinated prawns in pancetta and quickly cook them. Serve prawns with a drizzle of sauce and top with the cornbread stuffing. In the final moments, this dish comes together in a flash! It's the perfect party dish.
White BBQ sauce:
apple cider vinegar
Mix everything together and chill overnight.
1. Mix all dry spices together.
2. Pour olive oil over shrimp and mix in
3. Mix the shrimp with the dry spices and chill overnight in the fridge.
Corn bread dressing:
corn bread crumbles
fine dice onion
fine dice celery
fine dice red bell pepper
diced raw bacon, smoked bacon is best. I used apple wood smoked
green onion sliced in thin rings
butter, no salt
1. cook bacon until crispy in a large sauté pan. Remove bacon from pan and drain the grease out. Don't clean the pan, just drain most of the grease out.
This needs to be sliced really thin, about as thick as 3-4 sheets of paper. You need as many slices as shrimp you want to make. If you can have them slice it at the store on a slicer. It sliced best when it's frozen, on a slicer.
Kaiware sprouts, for garnish
1 lb 13/15 shrimp, peeled and deveined
To make the dish:
1. unroll the pancetta the best you can and wrap them around the seasoned shrimp.
2. heat a sauté pan and sauté the shrimp in a pan with just a little oil. Cook the shrimp on one side until the pancetta turns brown then flip it over and cook the other side until it turns brown. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through.
3. put the cooked shrimp on a plate, drizzle the white BBQ sauce across, top with warm corn bread dressing.
4. garnish with 2 or 3 Kaiware sprouts