Happy Trails....

For years, I've been wanting to send this post:

I'm poised and ready to update my out of office message: Gone traveling, don't know when I'll be back. Drop me a line sometime....

Traipsing across legendary spice routes, I'll send dispatches from the road... filled with stories about the people I meet. In words and photos, I'll tell their tale, daring to capture their essence. Then I'll close my note...destination unknown, signed simply, Happy Trails....

***
I gleaned through my possessions. Donated everything I could part with. And for the last 18 months, I've purposely acquired nothing that wasn't a book...or previously used. Eventually, each new item that entered my house, felt like a burden.

Justifying my pauper lifestyle, I reminded myself, "I'm leaving."

Then I was laid off from my job. When the shock wore off, I was actually happy. This was a sign! Passport at the ready, I put my house on the market and prepared to bid Seattle adieu.

But fate had another plan....

Before my eyes, I watched the economy go from bad to worse...and within 6 months, the value of my home dropped nearly $100,000.

Sadly, I'm going to kiss that trip good bye, for now.